Sunday, January 23, 2011

Cloth Diaper (Cover) Review - Gen-Y Universal Cover

I had the good fortune to win a Gen-Y Universal Cover during a photo contest by Gen-Y. I have had it for a couple weeks now and thought I would post a review. Now, I have to start out by saying that I am not a cover kind of girl -- we use pockets, AIO's and AI2's. I think I tried a cover at one point during a diaper trial, but ended up sending it back. That being said - if I had gotten this cover to begin with, my diaper stash might have been a little different.

Gen-Y has 3 different styles of covers - Classic, Simplicity and Universal. I chose a Universal because it can be used with virtually anything: prefolds, flats, cloth inserts, disposable inserts, contour diapers and fitteds. The other covers cannot be used with cloth or disposable inserts, which are my only current options.

Here's a little on the Universal cover from the Gen-Y website:
"The GEN-Y Universal cover is designed to make your cloth diapering experience easier, simpler, and more fun! Inner leg gussets contain anything your child can dish out. Our super soft polyester/ spandex jersey binding is gentle and comfortable against your baby's skin. Specially shaped inner flaps on the front and back work perfectly to hold any lay in or insert in place, while a gathered front allows you the room you need to use with fitteds or contour diapers. A snap down rise and highly adjustable legs and waist mean you need just two sizes for the perfect fit from birth to potty. Wipe-clean or air-out inside so you can reuse until soiled. Poly-resin snap closures allow air circulation, are more difficult for your baby to undo, and won't snag or wear out with time. Machine wash/ dry with your other diapers... What's not to love?
GEN-Y products are made in the USA."

Now, on to the cover:


Outside of cover (Fun print!)
Inside of cover - all PUL - you can just wipe clean and air out until soiled!
Inside stuffed with insert (I used my SoftBums microfiber inserts because one side is fleece)
Check out the awesome double gussets!

Close up on the print

Diaper being modeled by the Little Man

Being silly - going night-night on my quilting ruler!  Note the snug fit around his legs.


What I love:
  • Fun, fun prints - they were out of some of my favorite prints - this was actually my 3rd or 4th choice, but I still love it. It was hard to choose from so many cool prints.  Also love how they color coordinate the snaps and gussets with the fabric.
  • The big flaps in the front and back really keep the inserts in place
  • The gussets - the double gussets are awesome at keeping EVERYTHING in!
  • Flexibility - this cover can be used with anything! We are thinking this will definitely be one of our go-to options on vacation - using disposable inserts, when we have limited access to laundry. 
  • Cleanability - Little Man has actually not soiled the cover yet. He had a couple poops, but they stayed on the insert, so we actually haven't even had to wash it yet.
  • Clean lines - sine this is a side-snapping cover, the snaps are pretty much out of sight. They also have the rise adjustment snaps lower down so they aren't visible from the front either.
  • Customer Service - Elizabeth was great to work with - she was able to answer all of my questions and she did so VERY promptly!
What could be improved
  • Since I have no other diapers that use the side snaps,  I have a harder time snapping these than my other dipes, but if I had more of these, this probably would not be an issue. 
  • The price of the Universal covers is a little steep for me - the covers are $21.99 each ($22.99 for Minkee covers) - this is more than pretty much all of my pocket diapers in my stash and the cover does not come with any inserts. However, I do have to add that you are paying for quality - these are very well made covers AND they are made in the USA. Also since they can be reused so easily, it would be possible to reuse the same cover for most of a day, which makes the price more accessible. Also, their Classic and Simplicity Covers are less expensive (ranging from $11.99 - 17.99). So for someone on a budget, they have other options. 
The Final Tally
The cons are far outweighed by the pros for this cover. This is not one of the first ones I grab, but more because of the fact that I am much more comfortable with pockets, AIOs and AI2s. It is a well made, fun cover and we just might have to invest in a couple more before our next trip to California because it could help greatly decrease the bulk of what we have to pack! With the airlines charging for checked luggage, taking a suitcase of pockets can be pretty outrageous on the pocketbook!

**This is not a paid post. I received the cover as a prize in a giveaway with no expectations of a review. All opinions are my own.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like my kind of dipe/cover. Love the sound of all the versatility! If only I needed more! Maybe I will search for a giveaway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the info, lizze! i have one cover i use over fitteds and prefolds, and 2 flip covers (but it doesn't fit well over our fitteds)...i keep entertaining the idea of buying one more cover...but i probably don't really NEED it. :)

    ReplyDelete