Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tasty Tuesday - THE pie crust recipe

 OK, I am going to apologize because I don't have a single picture to go with this post - except for a partially eaten pie and the 2 pie crusts in my freezer! I was making this pie crust while Little Man was running around and pictures just weren't happening. But, I wanted to share this recipe with you. It has only been recently that I have gotten back into making my own pie crusts - the ones in the refrigerated aisle were just soooo convenient. But, with my quest to get back to the basics and remove the chemicals/indecipherable ingredients from our daily eating, I thought it was about time. 


I started out with a pie crust recipe from the Pioneer Woman - check out her post for all the cool food photographs of this recipe! I modified it a bit today and think I have gotten it how I like it. I subbed out some of the shortening for some butter, which makes for a much better flavor in my book - without losing any flakiness. I also decreased the salt and added a little sugar to sweeten it up. 


One of my favorite things about this recipe - it makes 3 pie crusts at one time - you just put each dough ball in a Ziploc baggie and freeze it until you need it - even better than the ones at the grocery store because I don't have to run out and buy it - it's already in my freezer!


So, here is the recipe:


THE Pie Crust
adapted from Pioneer Woman


Ingredients


  • 1 C. Crisco (vegetable Shortening)
  • 1/2 C. butter
  • 2 C. All-purpose Flour + 1 Cup White Wheat Flour (I have done this with all white, as well as all wheat) 
  • 1 whole egg
  • 5 T. cold water
  • 1 T. white vinegar
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1 t. sugar
Directions


In a large bowl, with a pastry cutter, gradually work the Crisco and butter into the flour for about 3 or 4 minutes until it resembles a coarse meal. In a small bowl, beat an egg with a fork and then pour it into the flour/shortening/butter mixture. Add 5 tablespoons of cold water, 1 tablespoon of white vinegar 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of sugar. Stir together gently until all of the ingredients are incorporated.
Separate the dough into thirds. Form 3 evenly sized balls of dough and place each dough into a large Ziploc bag. Using a rolling pin, slightly flatten each ball of dough (about ½ inch thick) to make rolling easier later. Seal the bags and place them in the freezer until you need them. (If you will be using it immediately it’s still a good idea to put in the freezer for about 15 to 20 minutes to chill.)
When you are ready to use the dough to make a crust, remove from the freezer and allow to thaw for 15 minutes. Place the dough between 2 sheets of floured waxed paper and roll the dough, starting at the center and working your way out. (Sprinkle some flour over top of the dough if it’s a bit too moist.) Continue rolling until it’s about ½ inch larger in diameter than your pie pan.
Take off the top piece of wax paper and gently turn the pie crust over into the pie plate. Gently press the dough against the corner of the pan. Go around the pie pan pinching and tucking the dough to make a clean edge.


No comments:

Post a Comment